On March 10, a group of 12 left for El Salvador to partner with Habitat for Humanity International and Thrivent Builds Worldwide on building homes for families in need. I just received a phone call from the team, and I am writing on their behalf since they don't have internet access where they are.
The team is working in the Sonsonate region of El Salvador on two building projects. It sounds like most of the work thus far has been digging trenches and hauling rolls of rebar. They report that everyone is well, but very dirty!
Nila shared that their Habitat coordinator complimented the team on their efforts to connect with the people. They are engaging in a lot of conversation!
On Sunday the team visited Cristo Rey, Sheridan's partner congregation in El Salvador. Anita described it as a truly amazing and emotional experience. Not too many dry eyes! The team was impressed by the work of the children and youth in the congregation. Five-year-olds were collecting the offering and a 16-year-old girl taught Bible to the children. Evangelism training starts at an early age!
That's all the updating I received- at least all I can remember. The team will be encouraged to contribute to the blog when they return. Their stories will be much more personal than my second-hand report, and therefore probably a lot more interesting!
They say "Adios!"
Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment