
Last night I went to see the film "God Grew Tired of Us" at the Mary Riepma Ross Theater (playing now through 3/15). The film tells the story of three of the "Lost Boys of Sudan" who left their homes in search of safety during their country's brutal civil war and ended up (10+ years later) trying to live a life in the U.S. The film was emotional for me. At the first scenes of Africa, my heart and eyes swelled. Both the desperation and the determination were familiar to me. The tears continued, even when the boys were "safe" in the U.S. They may have escaped the poverty and disease that is persistent in the refugee camps, but once in the U.S. they experienced a new kind of poverty. Their life lacked family and friends, obviously not by choice. They also lacked a sustainable income. Sure, they worked hard. But at minimum wage its difficult to provide for yourself, your family back in Africa, and still pay back the US government for their airfare to the US . . . .
Anyway, I left energized by the idea that maybe more people would discover the plight of the Sudanese because of this film. But I also left burdened. What can I do to help? What difference can I possibly make? And, who can help me help them? I'm convinced that we are called to serve these people, but how?
Fortunately for me, and for Sheridan, God has placed several Sudanese refugee families in our family. So the answers to my questions seem pretty obvious, don't they? They are in need of material things, like a good mattress. They are also in need of education. How can we better help them attain that? They need jobs. Anyone know of open positions in Lincoln? But most of all, they need friends . . . and lots of them. Are you willing to be their friend?
For more information on the film, visit www.godgrewtiredofus.com and for showtimes visit www.theross.org.
1 comment:
I decided to go see the movie lastnight before it left the theater and I am so glad I did. I, too, had mixed emotions during the film as my heart went from joy to pain each minute. I was crying at all the refugees had to endure, laughing at the young man who ate the packet of butter, and then back to crying at the sight of Africa and our brothers in Christ dancing and singing, just like we witnessed while in Tanzania last month. I especially felt connected to the mother who sees her son for the first time in 17 years - when she was jumping around and hollering at the airport, I kept thinking about the ladies "trilling" their tounges and dancing around us when we first arrived at Kilimanjaro airport.
Not only did the film leave me with the questions of what I can do to help, it also made me upset with myself as I had never really given much thought to this issue until I came back from Africa. I know these experiences have been given to me for a reason...I fell in love with the friends I made in Tanzania, but now he is showing me there are people struggling right here in my own church family that I can reach out to. I look forward to meeting some of the Sudanese we have at Sheridan and looking for more opportunities to serve God and others here at home. I know it is a struggle and something much easier said than done, but I am confident God will lead my heart in that direction...and I think I can be one of those who will help you, help others.
Post a Comment