Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Last Day

Well today is our last day in Tanzania. We leave a little before 10 tonight and are supposed to be in Lincoln at 4:30 on Wednesday. Some people are ready to go home but I think that most could stay or will come back.
We went to Karatu on Friday and spent the night at the Lutheran Hostel there. On Saturday we were up early to go to Ngorongoro Crater. It was a beautiful sight. We saw 4 rhinos, some lions, a cheetah, a lot of elephants, zebras and wildebeest, warthogs and flamingos. On the way to and from Karatu we saw giraffe on the side of the road which was really cool. Everyone had a great time but one car got stuck three times in the mud. More of an adventure that way I guess.
On Sunday we worshipped in Karatu at the Lutheran Church there and met the pastor and his family. It was a packed house but some how there was always room on the pews for another person. After lunch we travelled to Arusha and checked into the nicest hotel we had stayed in by far. Oddly enough most people slept the worst there but the clean showers were much appreciated.
On Monday my mom and I got to visit the child that I sponsor through Compassion International. That was an unbelievable experience and I will remember it for the rest of my life. If anyone doubts that the money is actually going to the child they couldn't be more wrong. The rest of the group visited a church that has a Compassion project within the campus and they learned a lot of information about the group and how it works. When we arrived back in Moshi we shopped a lot and everyone spent most of their money. For supper we were invited to the Bishop's house which was nice.
Today we visited a coffee company in Moshi. It was very interesting to see the process and how it works. We had a special farewell lunch at Uhuru this afternoon.
Sorry this is short but I should finish packing. We hope that everyone back home is doing great and we will hopefully be back tomorrow.

No comments: