I know I have probably said this a lot but once again today was amazing! We went to Mudio today and were greeted by the kindergarten class of 40 four to six year olds. They were so excited to meet us and they sang songs and taught us numbers. They even know the song "This is the Day" so we got to sing with them which was really fun. We tried to teach them "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" but they weren't getting it. The teacher said that she knew a different version that she would teach them and then they could show us tomorrow. One of the pictures is of a boy named Freddy. He seemed to be the class clown of the group and he was definitely the most outgoing. We taught the kids 'high fives' and they really loved that.
After hanging out with the class we actually had to get to work. First we moved the man-made bricks up to the place where they would be put on the walls of the school. As you can see by the picture the gravel for the mortar is hand sifted using a screen door and then hand mixed with water and other things. Lindsay and I helped the brick layers but we think that they made fun of us quite a bit but that is okay. As long as we can give some entertainment, right?
While Lindsay and I helped with the building the others in the group did yard work. They trimmed hedges and "mowed the grass" with objects that looked like sharpened golf clubs as seen in the picture. Some of the youth group from Mudio helped with the work and that was very fun. We tried to learn Swahili or we did learn Swahili but they seemed to laugh at our attempts. They seemed to like the idea that we were at least trying to do it. It was fun.
After lunch some of the group went to a girls school but Johanna, Lori M, Lindsay and I stayed and hung out with the people more. They youth put up a volleyball net and we attempted to play volleyball. It was basically chaos the whole time with rules that never seemed to stay the same. It was really fun though and we couldn't believe that we were playing volleyball in Tanzania. Some of the youth wanted to play futbol(soccer) tomorrow and I am sure that us Americans, who LOVE soccer, will do great at that! = )
The people have been great and everyone is having a great time. As we spend more time with them and we learn about eachother we see how similar our lives our.
2 comments:
Hey Everyone!
The pictures are fabulous. They really help me see what you are living. I'm sure the difference between here and there is unbelievable, I can't wait to hear about your experiences. Listening to you all it sounds as if the Holy Spirit has taken up residence in Tanzania and in your hearts.
Love and Prayers, Sue
Jordan & Lori,
We are so glad that you made it there safely and have been thinking and praying for you. Goat Lori? Way to be a trooper !! I can just see the volleyball attempts, can you imagine if they had a chance to watch Sarah Paven? I am sure the people there are so happy and feel blessed with your being there. What a feeling it must be to deepen your love with Christ. We can't wait to hear more and see all the pictures when you return. Just to let you know, we got 5 inches of snow last night!!
Have you had the chance to see your little buddy yet? You must be so excited for that.
Keep up the great pictures and stories. You'll stay in our prayers.
God Bless,
Tom, Joanie, Joel & Riley
P.S. Riley says "Happy Valentines Day"
Post a Comment